Apart from general CEU admission requirements, we expect applications from candidates with a Master’s degree in one of a broad range of related disciplines (including physics, mathematics, computer science, sociology, political science and economics), who have an interest in network science and/or its applications to social sciences.
The PhD program is open for students with a wide variety of backgrounds. Presently we have students with MA/MSc in math, sociology, psychology, architecture, physics, economics and political science. The Program is strongly interdisciplinary with a special emphasis on quantitative methods in social sciences and data-driven research. Those who have weaker math background will have to take a quantitative methodology course and will need some additional effort.
We do NOT request a GRE test.
In addition to the items of the CEU checklist, a STATEMENT OF PURPOSE (previously “motivation letter”) is an important part of the application.
The Statement of Purpose should make clear:
- why you are interested in studying network science at CEU;
- your knowledge of social science/network science literature;
- your openness towards and possible experience with mathematical methods and programming;
- what is the special field of research you are particularly interested in and what kind of plans you have in that direction;
- what kind of studies and activities you have carried out which are related to your plans.
The Statement of Purpose should not be longer than 1500 words.