Apart from general CEU admission requirements, we expect applications from candidates with a Master’s degree in one of a broad range of related disciplines (including physics, mathematics, computer science, sociology, political science and economics), who have an interest in network science and/or its applications.
The PhD program is open for students with a wide variety of backgrounds. Presently we have students with MA/MSc in math, physics, sociology, psychology, architecture, economics and political science. The Program is strongly interdisciplinary with a special emphasis on quantitative methods and data-oriented research. Those who have weaker math backgrounds will have to participate in a pre-session course and will need some additional effort.
We do NOT request a GRE test.
In addition to the items of the CEU checklist, a STATEMENT OF PURPOSE (previously “motivation letter”) is an important part of the application.
The Statement of Purpose should make clear:
- why you are interested in studying network science at CEU;
- your knowledge of network science literature;
- your openness towards and possible experience with mathematical methods and programming;
- what is the special field of research you are particularly interested in and what kind of plans you have in that direction;
- what kind of studies and activities you have carried out that are related to your plans.
The Statement of Purpose should not be longer than 1500 words.
Application deadline is January 30, 2020.
How to Apply: https://www.ceu.edu/apply