Advanced Certificate Program in Network Science
The certificate is offered by the Department of Network and Data Science (DNDS) at CEU, which provides an organizational platform for research in network science, with a special focus on applications to practical social problems. The particular strength of the Department is in its diverse interdisciplinary faculty, and the intellectual leadership of Albert-László Barabási, a part-time faculty member of the Department. Faculty at the Department of Network and Data Science offer courses on the core ideas of network science, on methods of network science, and applications in economics, political science and environmental science. Faculty will also engage in co-supervising PhD students.
The program brings together renowned scientists working in the fascinating interdisciplinary field of networks. This pioneering, interdisciplinary program provides tools to understand how complex networks are structured and how they function. Students learn the principles governing social, political, economic, and environmental networks. Working with some of the most prominent network scientists in the world, students can participate in research on the fundamental laws of network structure and dynamics. They also study the latest network modeling methods, using terabyte-sized files that capture anonymous data points from mobile phone calls between millions of individuals; financial transactions between banks and companies; energy delivery systems; memberships in the directorial boards of companies; and affiliations in political parties.
THE PROGRAM FOCUSES ON THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM AREAS:
- Mathematics and statistical physics of networks: graphs, graph limits, and processes on graphs
- Political science: business-political networks, social movements, social influences in voter behavior
- Economics: world system networks and development, network effects and externalities, financial networks, networked markets
- Environmental science: resilience in energy grids, food webs, and economic competition
The Advanced Certificate in Network Science is a non-degree certificate available for students enrolled in a PhD degree program at CEU. To receive the certificate at the end of their studies, in addition to the disciplinary requirements of their own departments, PhD students are required to:
- Complete Fundamental Ideas in Network Science (4 credits) and other DNDS courses for 4 more credits (8 credits in total). The Economic and Social Networks course of the Department of Economics and Business also qualifies.
- Consult with at least one faculty member from the Department of Network and Data Science on network science related projects.